Launched at Expo 2018 on 5 September 2018, NHS England has developed the Innovation and Technology Payment (ITP) 2019-20.
Delivered with the support of the Academic Health Science Networks (AHSNs), the ITP aims to deliver on the commitment detailed within the Five Year Forward View – supporting the NHS to adopt innovative market-ready medical devices, diagnostics, digital platforms and technologies which have demonstrated improvement to the quality and efficiency of patient care, by removing financial or procurement barriers to uptake.
– The Innovation and Technology Payment (ITP) 2019/20 builds on the Innovation and Technology Tariff (ITT) and ITP 2018/19. It aims to support the NHS in adopting innovation by removing some of the financial or procurement barriers which can inhibit uptake at scale
– It is a competitive process designed to scale up adoption of innovations and technologies that have already proved their clinical effectiveness and are ready for nationwide spread
– The ITP is looking to support medical devices, digital platforms and technologies. The programme is not suitable for pharmaceutical products or research projects
– Aiming to select a range of cost effective innovations within our budgetary confines in order to have a wide-reaching impact on patient care, and maximise learning from the programme while fostering culture change
– The ITP programme forms part of a wider set of activities to support innovation in the NHS, led by NHS England with the Academic Health Science Networks (AHSNs)
– The programme will be delivered with the support of the AHSNs
– The ITP is specifically focused on low cost innovations which can deliver significant patient outcomes and savings to the NHS
– Applicants can be from healthcare, academia, commercial or voluntary sectors.
– The implementation of any agreed payment mechanism or procurement will be operational from April 2019.
– Day-to-day support and reporting will be via NHS England’s Innovation and Research Unit
The closing date for applications is noon on 3 October 2018.
To find out more and to submit your application, click here.